Monday, February 8, 2010

When a standard is lost

Common definitions of the word STANDARD are such as:
a basis for comparison; a reference point against which other things can be evaluated; "the schools comply with federal standards"; "they set the measure for all subsequent work"
criterion: the ideal in terms of which something can be judged; "they live by the standards of their community".

When we look at the issue of tithing it is important to remember this word. In the discussions that have made their way into the blog world of late we are learning that people who set out to prove a position to justify their behavior will often forget about this word STANDARD.

How is this important?

When a person looks in the Word of God a clear standard is seen concerning the tithe. Though some are trying to ignore this standard, it is there. Those who claim to hold to the New Covenant Theological position completely ignore that the Old Testament and the Law have been given to us for this very reason.

We are free from the Law. Christ did what we could not. Yet NC people forget that the Law was God's STANDARD! Christ's payment for our sins does not change this standard. We do not live in a life that is forced to do anything. But in my love for God and my desire to grow in love to Him more each day, I then must see what pleases Him.

Think of it this way. In April of this year I will have been married to Heidi for 19 years. I always try to do something special for her on our Anniversaries. There are things that I think will be pleasing to her but they are my ideas. There are places that I would love to go but those are my desires. If I am to show her my love for her, then I must learn what she likes. I seek to please her for I love her. When I give her a gift, I work hard at giving her something that she likes NOT giving her something that I think she would like.

The same is true with God. If we take the approach that a few are taking and say "I am free to give to whatever and God is fine with that..." we are missing the key point in LOVING HIM. One blogger wrote something like this; "I do not know what I give but I am sure it is less than 2%."

When I read the love letter that God has provided for us, I find that a standard is there. It is NOT an end point. The standard is the beginning. Out of love for God I desire to love Him in a manner that He deserves. How could giving less than the clear standard meet that which He deserves? How could I NOT know what I give to Him?

My love moves me to ask a different question - why in the world would I want to hold on to something when He has simply made me a Steward. It is all His. Grace indeed raised the standard. When we lose the standard, we lose much. We cheapen GRACE. We excuse our selfishness. We find justification for doing things like drinking alcohol, that violates God's standard. A loss of the standard actually brings into focus that maybe our love is NOT what He deserves. When I give more than the standard, I am NOT trying to buy my way to God nor am I living under the law. God forbid. I am though living the reality of my love for the one who saved me. I have clearly seen His standard and I then know where to start. But as I grow, my giving will and should grow.

When we lose a standard we lose MUCH!

No comments: