Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Pennies Count!

I was walking across the parking lot of a mall the other day and discovered that many pennies could be found. The number of pennies were so numerous that I paused in my daily tasks and went penny hunting. After just 1 hour of casually walking the parking lot, I had more than three dollars of pennies to take to the bank. Granted, I do not think that I will spend many more hours hunting for pennies at the mall but what a powerful example of just how poorly we view money and stewardship.

Turn on your television and you will see several commercials explaining how you can save enough money to support their organization. The approach they use is that for just .60 cents per day...! You have seen those haven't you. The message of the commercials for groups trying to raise money are actually causing people to think. We as leaders in the church should be doing the same. From missions to special projects, pennies count. I wonder sometimes how much money we literally throw away each year. How many people could be reached with the Gospel of Jesus if we only realized that PENNIES DO COUNT! If one mall parking lot contains more than $3, I wonder what else could be found. And then there is the money that we waste on "things" that really are not essential. It does add up quickly.

I pray that we will become better stewards of all that God has given to us.

Praying with and for you - Eklund Leadership Team